Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"OY" What a Day I Had Today


Where's Danno, he shoulod see the messes I make now!

My " Rube Goldberg".  Who was he anyway?

Much Better




   Wow....Have I been working hard all day!  I have really earned this Bombay and Tonic that I
am drinking right now.  As you can see the jib now looks normal.  Yeah!! And..no rats nest any more.  It took a bit of time to think things through
and it is nice to have the time to do that without
anyone looking over your shoulder.  As Dan and Ben always say "It ain't Rocket Science". 
I must admit it took me several tries and lots of do overs as I learned what I needed to know.  I also
felt that I needed to add another block to the lead cause it was supposed to be 90 Deg. and it didn't look like that to me.  A bit of a "Rube Goldberg"
affair, with a hose clamp and a schakle but heck it
seems to work.
   The drum (roller bearings)got some WD40 and it looks
clean as a whistle too.



   Next project for the day was to change
from the little motor to the big motor.
Well my spirits were lifted by fixing the
Jib but they were not to remainj high
for long. 
  
  There were more and more dinghies making wakes as the time went on so I thought I would
at least try to get it off the dinghy.
  Well.....I followed procedure (my procedure gets more and more specific every time), tied the engine to a line and waited between wakes.  As I lifted the engine something came out of nowhere and YEP, you guessed it, back in the water again
engine and all!  At least this time it was warm and my ladder was right there.  Well I pulled up my little engine and went to work.  I soaked, doused and cleaned that thing with fresh water as best I could.  Took off the covers, put more WD40 on it. All the gas ports were sealed and the vent was not open.  Well It didn't start after a long time so I will keep trying.  I will look up how to take the carborator apart to see if there is water in there.
At least there was no phone or camera in any pockets, the engine was tied to the boat and I
had not yet taken a shower.  It actually felt
good to get wet.
  Then after revising my procedure yet again I
very carefully, lifted the big engine down
to the dinghy.  This actually went very well.  With my track record I was nervous.
 She started up right away and I now have a
faster mode of transportation.  Just hope
I didn't ruin the little motor.

  I finally finished just in time to take a shower
and head over to Lori and Tom's boat for Dinner.
Lori made us Pasta (ummm), foccia bread (double
ummm) and lemon merange pie for desert.

Note:  I am having a heck of a time getting the pics where I want them and the writing where I
want it so bear with me.

  It is a very small world out here.  Yeterday a couple came by to say hi and it turned out it was Elaine and Jamie. Elaine was at the Harbor Masters office before Linda and Sondra.  They know Ana and Steve, Barry, Ann, Trish, Derrick, goodness
and so many more folks.  Turns out Elaine is the Harbormaster at Cabrillio Island Marina in San Diego.  I met Elaine in 1997 when we first moved to gate nine with the Catalina 22.  I tell ya.........




































































































































4 comments:

  1. Hope your engine dries out! You are getting to have a rep like me - falling in! Be safe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crit

    Thanks for the heads up on your blog, will be following you and giving you encouragement and wishing you the greatest luck on your adventure. Hopefully will see you when you get to La Paz.

    wiley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crit

    When you furl your jib I think you might avoid that problem if you keep the jib sheet snug when furling, and not have the jib flogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so great to see you these past couple of days in Avalon. Saw you leaving just now - we'll catch up again in San Diego.

    >>I am having a heck of a time getting the pics where I want them and the writing where I
    want it so bear with me.



    This isn't just you. It's #$%#$@ blogger - I have the same problem - the "preview" function isn't really very accurate, and I never know just where the pictures are going to land until I actually publish a post.

    ReplyDelete