Thursday, February 24, 2011

Long Time

    To Mazatlan!  On Outrider a Westsail 42.
To my right is the Ship's Mascot Perkins.
He took his watches only when there was food
involved.  By the time we made it to
Mazatlan he actually let me pet him.
  Then there was the Captain and the Admiral.
Two great new friends from Marina
Palmira. They were my neighbors
and they were great.  Jeff is quite the
raconteur, a great Captain and knows a heck of a lot about boats and other things too.  Ann is a great musician, artist, photographer and writer
(published even). Plus a great, caring fun loving new friend that I do miss.
  Then there is Ken.  Well...Ken if you are
reading this  I am just kidding.  We had a great time
sharing the Saloon for two weeks.  He put up with my snoring until I finally gave him a pair of
earplugs. All in all it was a great time and a
great bunch of folks.
  On the trip over we saw lots of turtles and other
creatures of the sea. The turtles could often be
recognized by the Birds on their backs seemingly
sitting on a rock.  The birds rested on the backs
of the turtles
that had surfaced for air and sun.
   It was on the crossing that we celebrated Ken's
birthday.  It was a surprise and he had to bring
his own cheesecake.  Candles were involved
and singing and only one beer cause it was
during our crossing.  Indeed we did make up for it once we arrived in Mazatlan!
   When we arrived it was foggy and not a comfortable tide for Jeff to go in past the
breakwater so we anchored near one of the
Islands just off the City where it just so happens
the sun was shining. I think it was the only
place there was sun.  Maz was engulfed in fog for several days.  Very odd.  Thought I had left San Francisco.








   We went to the Giant Mercado in Mazatlan.
Boy what an experience.  Note the meat
stall to the right.  I think the pig whose nose
is sticking up from the cooler in the middle
is not too happy.  The folks use every part of
the animals here and don't waste any part.
It is really amazing to see the entire cow and
watch them cut the specific piece asked for from
animal.  I think I am on my way to vegetarianism.
I thought so before but I think it is  coming again.
It would take hours to cruise the entire market.
I lost everyone and also wound up buying the
coolest pants.  Probably paid too much but the
woman was an amazing saleswoman
and I could not refuse her.
   The next two pictures are out of order,  The bottom one is a typical square in Mazatlan.Or for that matter
in any city here.  Maz has many and they are all quite
pretty.  The mask is from a group of families who have formed a  Co-op of artists and have a gallery in
Mazatlan.  This is from Nidart.  I wasn't going to buy it only take a picture but I couldn't help myself.
It is now hanging on Jasdip.  It is a goatskin Masquerade Party Mask.  I fell in love with it.
This is actually the last picture my camera took.
The lense did not take another one again.
The camera is now on it's way back to the
factory hopefully to be repaired.  It was
still under warranty so I have my fingers
crossed.
     Ken and I were supposed to catch the ferry
back to La Paz.  It has been running for oh....
about 20 years or so.  What we didn't know
was that while we were crossing the Sea of Cortez
they decided to change the ferry.  It no longer left
from Mazatlan.  Ken and I tried everything and
we finally decided to take VivoAerobus (a plane)
back.  It only flies Mon and Fri so we got tickets and
informed the Captain and the Admiral that they were
stuck with us for another 4 days whether they liked it or not.  They were great and we continued to have a wonderful time in  Mazatlan with out great friends.








1 comment:

  1. Hey Crit! my dreams are back! we too have 2 masks but purchased them from Copola (an artist town in the mountains and well worth seeing).. the place in Mazatlan is the ex-wife's of the artist in Copola.
    Sounds as you are truly liv'n up to your slogan!
    Keep writing and we'll keep reading!
    I so much want to see Bellavia south again!

    Eva a. Milton

    ReplyDelete