Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Heading North From Isla San Francisco New Territory All by Myself

   Well I headed north.  One is really never alone out here.  There are thousands of critters everywhere.
These dolphins came up to the boat and hung with me for at least an hour.  My voice was  raw from
talking to them. I can't help it I
get so excited! They are just such beautiful
creatures!





    I love studying the markings on them
and trying to decide what it was that
made the scratches in their hide.


    After they left there is always the
occasional seal resting with flippers up.
They hardly even get out of the way anymore!

   Then there are the ever popular
"Flippin Rays".  They jump right out of the
water then slap down and do it again.
Agua Verde from the Bow
Often there are several at once and
Flippin Ray
they seem to be having such a good
time that I can't help but laugh and wish
I could flip with them! They are mighty hard
to get on film though.


I actually stayed in Timbibachie the first night and
again the second night.
It was not too pretty and the water was green
and not so clear. Didn't take any pictures and it was actually a pretty rough two days.  Let's see if I
can remember....I try to block these days out
as best as I can.....I hadn't been getting any charging from the engine. Only the solar panels.
The little generator was acting up so I couldn't even make power with that. I thought I was going to have to bleed that thing but tried changing the fuel filters and running some really clear and clean fuel through it.  It took a while but I finally cleared out the dirty fuel
and it started to run OK.
Now I have one fuel filter for the Mr Perkins
and one for Mr Generator. It was pretty hot so
 I couldn't run the generator for more that about
30 to 45 min at a time and I did have to make some
water so....i tried the old hook up the field wire
to the generator, right on the positive pole of
the alternator.  Well it worked!  For a bit.
I a pretty sure that is when the
alternator failed completely.  Made bad noises.
Couldn't cope with changing it yet so I just
decided that after a few days of rest I might
be able to cope.
   Then I decided to take the big engine
off the dinghy cause Jasdip was running a bit hotter
thank usual and I was towing the dinghy.
Well....it took me almost two
hours.  Everything that could have happened
seemed to happen.  I tried a new and I thought
perhaps better way to lift up the engine.  Turns out
it was a disaster.  Three times I almost had the
engine up only to have to let it down again, crawl
 back  in the dinghy and untangle something.
The last time I tried to pull it up it just stopped
 coming and I
couldn't figure out why it wasn't lifting until I looked
down and the fuel hose (which I accidentally left on)
was caught under the handle of the dinghy plug
and was stretched to it's limit. So down it
went again. The whole thing was a series of
things just like that!  Then this fella came out
to try to sell me lobster.  Hell I was so tired that
unless he brought it in a 3 course meal with a
chilled bottle of wine and then did the dishes I
couldn't even think about it.  He said he had
6 kids and he needed to sell some lobster.  I said
sorry and thought of that line of Groucho Marks's
Agua Verde from the looking off the stern
in the 50's when he was talking to a couple with
 5 kids..." I like a good cigar but I take it
 out once in a while!"  So that stop was a real
grind. It is times like that that I wonder what the
heck I think I am doing and feel that a good head
examination is in order!!




    So that night I slept very well and left to
head north the next Morning.  I Figured I would
perhaps make it as far as Agua Verde and I did.
I wasn't alone as you can see but there was
plenty of room for me.  Pretty sure I  stayed there
two nights.  It was a pretty and relaxing place
unlike Timbabachi so that is what I did....relaxed!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with the equipment, Crit. Hang in there - you are doing great and working through it!

    Are you spending the summer in the sea? We always wanted to do that.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crit - Lovely to hear from you. The sea looks wonderful. Hope all is well ... Candy

    ReplyDelete