Sunday, September 26, 2010

Warm at Last

Finally made it to Catalina and warm weather
am so glad!  Anchored off Two Harbors between
Cherry Cove and Fourth of July Cove in 80 ft of
the clearest water I have seen in a while.  Thank
Goodness for my Rocna Anchor!!!!! That thing holds in anything. 
   Had a bit of trouble rolling up the jib on the way in.  As you can see from the photo below.  I tried it several times doing slightly different stuff but it didn't want to cooperate. I decided I should quit while I was ahead and wait till I got to Catalina before I futzed with it more.  Good thing too. 
 As you can seee from the picture.  Guess I  will get


A real rats nest!


Fastened in Place
 
up early tomorrow and try to fix it when there is no wind and no waves from all the dinghies going by.  Tomorrow is Monday and I am hoping the place will clear out a bit. Then if I have to take the sail down I will but I am going to try to "fix in place" if possible first.  I did pick a rather rolly spot and a rather busy spot.  Guess there is no lack of entertainment in this location.  It is like a Sunday Parade out there with all the folks going to and from the dock from 9am till probably 11pm.  Very different from previous places.  Got to love it all. I am afraid that most dinghy operators don't understand the "planing "effect or the "go slow not to make big wakes if one can't plane" effect. Oh well.....
   Tom and Lori are here still on a mooring bouy but will move to Little Fisherman'x Cove to anchor today. Tired of paying the Mooring fees.  I must admit since I left (with the exception of my glasses, phone and camera $$$$$$$$$)(a big exception) I haven't been able to spend any money.  Guess that is a good thing.
   Got the dinghy in the water yesterday with the help of my Winchrite (photo below) and then decided it was too choppy to put the big 15 horse engine on so I let loose with my 2 horse (thanks to Ben,Chuck and Willy Warner) a 19lb motor that I can handle with one arm!  That little motor started right up first time!  I had to fill the gas tank the old fashioned way though with a cup and a funnel.  I tried
2 horse power motor

to use the "Safe Lid Gas Container" but I spilled gass all over and gave up.  I hate those things!!!
    The Winchrite has been great.  It is so helpful for getting the dinghy down and putting up the main sail.  I am so glad I have it.  The shoulder is getting better little by little. 
Guess I am going for a dinghy ride!!

The Winchrite My extra hand





No comments:

Post a Comment